The Centre organised a training programme on “Agriculture Statistics and Food Safety Analysis” at the Uganda Bureau of Statistics of the Republic of Uganda on May 26-27, 2008. The programme was provided by an expert from the Turkish Statistical Institute in Turkey and was attended by 15 staff members of the Uganda Bureau of Statistics of the Republic of Uganda.
The training programme on “Agriculture Statistics and Food Safety Analysis” mainly covered the following subjects:
- Basic concepts and definitions in agricultural statistics
- Use of administrative sources and quality issues
- Statistical farm registry – needs and priorities
- Agricultural census and surveys – importance and needs
- Basic agricultural statistics
- Supply balance sheets of agricultural products – basic concepts and definitions
- Economic accounts for agriculture – theoretical background
- Agriculture statistics in Turkey – experience of TurkStat
- Food safety – basic concepts and definitions
- Food safety statistics – scope and developments
The participants of the programme expressed their thanks and appreciation to the SESRIC for this organisation which aimed to improve the statistical capacity and performance of the Uganda Bureau of Statistics on “Agriculture Statistics and Food Safety Analysis”.