The 6th Conference on Tobacco or Health was organized by the National Committee on Tobacco or Health (SSUK), in cooperation with World Health Organization (WHO), Erzurum Atatürk University and Turkish Thoracic Society took place on 20-22 June 2012, in Erzurum, Republic of Turkey, Ms. Fatma Nur Zengin and Mrs. Rabia Tuba Yıldız, researchers of the SESRIC attended the Conference.
Representatives from Department of Chest Diseases of Atatürk University, National Coalition on Tobacco or Health, School of Medicine of Atatürk University, National Tobacco Control Programme Office of WHO, Sectorial Competition and Consumer Rights Department of Tobacco and Alcohol Market Regulatory Authority (TAPDK) and Governorship of Erzurum delivered the welcoming remarks.
Ms. Rabia Tuba Yıldız and Ms. Fatma Nur Zengin presented “Tobacco Prevalence in OIC Member Countries” and “Tobacco Control Efforts in OIC Member Countries” at the first session titled “Tobacco Control in the Region”. In the other sessions different aspects of the Tobacco Control Strategies were discussed:
- Protecting Health Policies from tobacco industry interests – Article 5.3 of WHO FCTC
- Tobacco related media activities and coverage
- Let’s get to know the tobacco industry
- Tobacco use among women and youth
- Should the sale of tobacco products be banned?
- Recent developments in cessation
- Packaging, labelling, display, and contents of tobacco products
- Work place and tobacco use
- Implementation problems of Law No 4207 and solution
Azerbaijan, Egypt, Indonesia, Iraq, Kyrgyzstan and Qatar were among the OIC Member Countries participated to the 6th Conference on Tobacco or Health.
- "Tobacco Control Efforts in Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) Member Countries", SESRIC (English)
- "Tobacco Prevalence in OIC Member Countries", SESRIC (English)