The Conference on Quality in International Statistics was hosted by the Committee for the Coordination of Statistical Activities (CCSA) on 29 May 2012 in Athens, Greece prior to the European Conference on Quality in Official Statistics (Q2012). Mr. Atilla Karaman, Researcher, attended the conference on behalf of the Centre.
At the outset of the Conference, Mr. Werner Bier, Deputy Director General of Statistics Department at the European Central Bank, and Mr. Henri Laurencin, Head of the Development Statistics and Information Branch at the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) delivered the welcoming remarks as co-chairs of the CCSA.
Following the welcoming remarks, the participants listened to the following five presentations that focused on the conditions for providing high quality international statistics and the requirements to ensure that quality in international statistics as a result of the interdependencies among economies with multiple statistical frameworks and experiences.
- Comparability of international macroeconomic indicators/statistics
- Enhancing the quality in international statistics by the Principal Global Indicators (PGIs)
- Providing decision makers with international macro-economic statistics that they need
- International statistics in academia: use, misuse and non-use
- Quality enhancement in International Merchandise Trade Statistics
For more information, please visit: http://unstats.un.org/unsd/accsub-public/cdqio-2012.htm